Maximum Canine is an internationally respected full-service dog facility. Our diverse backgrounds and experiences have led to proven results in a multitude of canine disciplines. Our continued mission is to educate our clients on all aspects of canine health, fitness, and wellness. Our willingness to constantly learn and think outside of the box has allowed us to continually evolve.
Why Work With Us?
We believe successful canine care and training is based on a strong foundation of proven dog training theory derived from proper mentorship, and a life of experience. We have applied this approach successfully on both the dog competition field and in a multitude of real-life scenarios with our clients. We are a tight-knit group that leverages the foundation and techniques learned from Joseph Secreti and his network of proven canine professionals. Our doors are always open to like-minded people who want to learn from one another for the overall benefit of the canine industry.
Most Maximum Canine positions start from the bottom up. We help build a strong foundation through education and help each other learn the fundamentals of their position. As a team, we help build a plan of progression for an individual to become a valuable asset.
If you are looking to be part of a team and enjoy learning and helping others with the goal of benefiting the canine industry, we are a great company to work for.
Dog Trainer Apprentice/Kennel Attendant
Do you love working with dogs? Looking to start a career as a professional dog trainer?
As a Maximum Canine Dog Trainer Apprentice/ Kennel Attendant, you’ll get paid to learn how to train dogs through our Employee Dog Training Program. This is a paid working and training program, with a critical selection process. While experience with dogs is preferred, previous professional dog experience is not required.
Maximum Canine is Long Island’s most well-respected and knowledgeable dog training company that has proven results in a variety of disciplines. Founded by renowned Long Island dog trainer and K9 detection handler Joe Secreti, you will be learning from and working with the best of the best in the dog training industry. Maximum Canine boasts 700+ reviews on Google reviews with a 4.9 rating and 10k+ social media following.
Maximum Canine offers a more extensive range of professional training in comparison to other dog training facilities, including:
- Competition obedience training
- Agility training
- Dog sport training
- K9 detection training
- Protection training and decoy work
- Behavior modification
- Service dog training
- Gundog training
- Explosive and drug K9 detection handling for our detection service division
- Management training
- Pet industry sales and commerce training
- Canine nutrition consultant services
This is an entry-level position where you will be trained and evaluated with the goal of becoming a Maximum Canine Certified Dog Trainer. The Maximum Canine Employee Dog Training Program takes about 6 months to a year depending on the individual's rate of progress, skill, and comfort level. There is continuous opportunity for growth within the company as a trainer, which include roles like Lead Trainer and Dog Trainer Instructor, as well as other management positions.
The ideal candidate is a driven, self-starter with great time management skills and the capacity to follow procedures and protocols set in place by Joe Secreti, Maximum Canine Founder and Lead Trainer.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintaining a clean and safe environment (kennels, training room, retail, etc.) for dogs and staff
- Taking care of dogs, including walking, feeding, and bathing
- Assisting/shadowing trainers and interacting with clients in our facility, off-site locations, and in-home training scenarios
- Written and verbal communication with management monitoring dogs' progress in English
- Must be willing to work in Deer Park, NY and have reliable transportation
- Must have a passion for dogs
- Must demonstrate a strong desire to learn and grow within the company
- Must have the ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Must be legally available to work in the US
- Must be able to take direction and handle constructive criticism for your safety and well-being, as well as the safety and well-being of staff, customers, and dogs within our care
- Must be able to report to work on-time in all weather conditions
- Experience handling dogs with different types of temperaments
- Valid driver's license
Full and part-time positions are available.
This job offers flexible hours (weekdays, weeknights, and weekends) for dedicated employees.
Dog Trainer Apprentice/ Kennel Attendants are expected to work some holidays as needed.
Starting pay is $16-20 per hour depending on experience.
Full-time Dog Trainer Apprentice/ Kennel Attendants earn $33,000 - $40,000 annually.*
Full-time certified dog trainers earn $40,000 - $85,000+ annually.*
*Maximum Canine provides additional ways for our employees to increase earning potential through incentive programs like promotions, sales, and bonuses. Overtime pay is available when possible.
Health benefits available for full-time employees.
Paid continuing education for full-time employees.
Note from Joe Secreti, Maximum Canine Founder and Lead Trainer:
“Becoming a successful dog trainer takes much more than a few weeks of a certification program, attending seminars, or training your personal dog. It takes a true understanding of dog training theory, learning different techniques and how to apply them. Proficiently with reading dogs’ body language and communicating with different dog owner personalities takes time and repeat exposure. This can only happen from a proper mentorship program led by a team with a proven track record with different successes in a variety of disciplines within the dog industry. It also takes hands-on experience training multiple dogs with a variety of dog owners personalities that have different objectives.
The Maximum Canine Employee Training Program provides the proper mentor support, theory and education, and countless hours of experience handling and training multiple dogs while communicating with their owners. Maximum Canine will provide you with a platform that offers the education, mentorship, experience, and multiple opportunities to excel within a rewarding career with exponential growth potential.”
Front Desk Associate (Full time and Part time)
This is a growth opportunity role with the ideal candidate being personable, professional, and highly motivated. You will learn about our products and how to educate our customers about them. You will be enrolled in online nutrition certification courses, which will be taken on your personal time. Once you have knowledge of our retail products, you will learn about dog training and boarding services.
General responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Greeting clients
• Answering phones
• Ringing up purchases
• Scheduling appointments
• Packing and shipping orders
• Keeping the retail area neat and clean
• Stocking merchandise
• Schedule all training appointments including group classes, boarding, board and train, and private training
• Learn to speak fluently about our training services and our training style
• Guide clients to the correct training choice for their dog without giving training advice and ultimately guide them towards an evaluation for further professional training
Preferred experience in high-paced environments with the ability to multitask. (i.e. hair salons, bartenders, baristas, and servers).
Excellent written and verbal communication skills are a must. Previous dog experience or being a dog lover is essential! Flexible schedule is preferred. Reliable transportation is required. Must be over 17-years-old. Must be able to lift at least 40 lbs.
Starting pay is $17 per hour. Compensation is commensurate with experience.
The store manager position at Maximum Canine requires someone with experience managing numerous employees in a fast-paced environment with high customer foot traffic. The manager must wear multiple hats and have the ability to coordinate processes, and proactively handle issues that may arise so they can be prevented in the future.
You will be managing the front desk employees, kennel staff, and all of our dog trainers.
This position will run parallel with a few other managers and you will report directly to the Maximum Canine president.
Starting pay: $25 per hour with the ability to earn $65k+ per year. Compensation is commensurate with experience.
Dog Nutrition Specialist
The Dog Nutrition Specialist role will be focused on creating meal plans for clients based on their dog's nutritional needs, preferences, and goals. You'll be expected to complete all necessary nutrition certification courses. Continuing education will be provided for you to stay on top of. You will be expected to be knowledgable of the best dietary solutions and education for all of our products. Prior to obtaining this position, you must meet the requirements of the front desk associate position and complete the necessary nutrition certifications. You will still be active at the front desk but there will be a lot of focus on growing the dog nutrition side of our business. This is the perfect role for someone who wants to educate dog owners about how to give their dogs the healthiest lifestyle possible.
General responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Client evaluations to determine their needs and objectives
• Education on products
• Create meal plans designed for allergies, weight loss, performance, longevity, and overall health
• Answer questions from online and in-store customers
• Ring people up
Starting pay is $18 per hour with the potential of earning upwards of $50K annually.
The Dog Trainer position incorporates all areas of pet dog training which includes working with board and train dogs, conducting group classes, and private training sessions. The trainer will work on basic obedience, house manners, teach fun purposeful activities such as agility, scent work, competitive and non-competitive games, and dog treadmill training.
This position is a direct result of satisfying all past requirements in the Maximum Canine education and shadowing program. The candidate must have successfully applied the concepts in real-life working scenarios. You will continue to attend weekly continuing education sessions with Senior Trainers and other Maximum Canine Trainers on our team. You will report directly to the training manager and will work with a team of trainers and junior trainers to assist in the daily tasks needed to accomplish the required goals.
There is a continuous opportunity for growth as a trainer which can include roles like Lead Trainer, management positions, and instructing other trainers.
Other opportunities the Trainer will have available to them as they excel in pet training are:
• Competition obedience
• Dog sport training
• Detection training
• Protection training
• Behavior modification
• Service dog training
• Gundog training
Starting Pay is $25 per hour with the ability to make over $75k a year with promotions, educational, and sale incentives.
Maximum K9 Detection Service is looking for K9 handlers to participate in the TSA 3PK9 program. The handlers will be responsible for screening cargo at various locations in compliance with TSA 3PK9 rules and regulations. Handlers will be required to complete a minimum of a 4 week training course and pass certification prior to screening under the 3PK9 program; travel may be required for the course.
- Participate in 3PK9 training program and remain in compliance with all rules and regulations associated with the program
- Maintain training records
- Maintain veterinary and care records
- Provide adequate, indoor, climate-controlled environment for assigned canine
- Living area at the employee’s residence is subject to recurring inspections
- Maintain all job-related certifications and security clearances
- Must provide vehicle equipped with a crash tested kennel and operational climate control to transport assigned canine
- Other duties as assigned
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Preferred: 1-2 years experience as a K9 handler in a cargo-screening environment
- Experience in law enforcement or military with working knowledge of K9 handling is preferred
- Must be able to obtain a Known Traveler Number (KTN) within four to six weeks of employment required
- Must provide vehicle equipped with a crash-tested kennel and operational climate control to transport assigned canine
- Must be able to pass the applicable certification for the program within four to six weeks of employment; candidate must maintain the certification requirements
- Must have a valid driver's license
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Problem solving skills
- Ability to adapt to a rapidly changing environment
Working conditions will vary from training to operational environments. Handlers will be expected to work both indoors and outdoors in all types of weather conditions. Operational environments may be busy with frequent interruptions. Work hours will be dictated by the customers agreed upon schedule. Nights, weekends, and holiday hours will be required, and the work schedule will vary. Travel may also be required.
Candidates must be capable of lifting and carrying up to 90lbs. Must be able to perform physical activities associated with handling a dog inside and outside in all weather conditions.
Flexible, competitive benefits available based on experience.
Maximum K9 Detection Service will purchase working K9 and provide a stipend for its care.
Maximum Canine Service is looking for a warehouse person to work in our Deer Park warehouse in Long Island.
We specialize in dog training equipment and high-quality dog food, which we ship nationwide.
The ideal candidate is personable, professional, and highly motivated.
General responsibilities include:
• Receiving and unpacking orders
• Managing inventory
• Packing and shipping orders
• Scheduling shipping
• Keeping the warehouse and inventory organized
• Packaging bulk merchandise for retail sale
• Experience operating a forklift or willingness to train on how to operate one
This is a part-time, Monday through Friday job with some flexibility to the schedule.
Reliable transportation is required. Must be over 17 years old.
Starting pay is $16-18 per hour.